Friday, March 25, 2016

Miami Slice

When I'm not illustrating a book, it's accessories time! I play around with the many jewelry and handbag ideas that have been piling up in my brain.

But no matter what I've got on the to-do list for the day, in the past two years or so, my mornings start with eating breakfast while watching my favorite 80's cop show - full of dramatic scenes with synthesizer music, boat-chases, pastel designer linen suits and palm trees - you know the show ;) Best theme song ever.

Last March, after my first trip to Florida (thanks, cousin Jen!) I was inspired to create a collection of handbags based on the tropical vibes of that trip, the TV show, and my memories of growing up in the tropics with tall, waving palm trees and bright colors. (side note- I used to watch this 80's cop show as a kid in the Ivory Coast too. I have a thing for cop shows, it's weird)

Majestic fan palms and deep blue sky!

While in Florida, I had so many flashbacks to life in the Ivory Coast: the warm humid air, the hibiscus and bougainvillea flowers, coconut trees, fan palms, sunny beaches, the produce... it was really like going back in time!

 

The photo on the right is of the very first coconut tree I'd seen in eighteen years! I wanted to take it home! Ahh, now I'm thirsty for coconut water... 

So during our trip, I loaded up my new fancy smartphone with photos of palm trees, flowers, beach scenes, etc. When I got home, I printed some of the photos on fabric sheets and sewed them into purses for my Something IvoryCoasty line! I named the collection- you guessed it- the Miami Slice Collection. I created a few screen-print designs and printed them on top of some of the photographic images too.


 

   

(I played with printing the images in different hues for a playful, retro effect)

Oh, and also, last year is when I started becoming obsessed with tassels, so some of the bags have tassels attached to the zippers. This spring, the tassel obsession has evolved into earrings- more on that in a future post.

I sold some of the pieces at the yearly art show and sale in my neighborhood called Art on Lark. Look for my Something IvoryCoasty booth this summer at Art on Lark too! I will have sooooo many tassel earrings, I promise.


No comments:

Post a Comment