Wednesday, June 8, 2016

La Casa Azul

Last July, I participated in my first show in New York City, at La Casa Azul Bookstore!

Located in East Harlem, La Casa Azul is a beautiful bookstore named after the Blue House, Mexican artist Frida Kahlo's home and studio (love her!). The bookstore has multicultural books for all ages, and hosts many workshops, music concerts, and book events.

A little gallery space (with pretty yellow walls and a Frida Kahlo mural) on the basement level of the bookstore held the summer exhibition. Entitled Suenos: How Imagination Can Save the World, the show featured work by Vanessa Brantley Newton, Katie Yamasaki and myself.



I displayed eleven original illustrations from my books My Hands Sing the Blues: Romare Bearden's Childhood Journey and The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind. (I sprung to get each of them professionally framed, and let me tell you; it ain't cheap)



The opening of the show on July 25th, 2015 consisted of book readings and a collage activity for the children and parents in attendance.

The bounty of papers, markers and crafty things!


Thank you to my buddies who came out to support! :)

Funky Frida mosaic in the bookstore
I snagged myself a cool reading T-shirt!


Check out a video recapping the event from BronxNet!

Note: La Casa Azul Bookstore is currently closed as they re-structure, but you can still visit their online shop here, and check updates on their Facebook page.



No comments:

Post a Comment