Friday, April 11, 2014

1st Friday Art Reception, Part2


At the art show last Friday, I ended up showing a total of 21 pieces.

(Geez, my eyes are half-closed in too many pictures.)

They ranged from large oil pieces:


                  ...Hip hop portraits...                                               Two of my favorite hip hop artists:
                                                                                 Talib Kweli (I met him, he's awesome!) and Mos Def

 to black and white gouache and pen illustrations:

                                                    ...two pieces from the "Aminata" series...


and collages from books and personal projects:

         ... two pieces from My Hands Sing the Blues: Romaire Bearden's Childhood Journey...


                       ..."Raindrops": mixed media...                       ..."Sudan Madonna & Child": egg tempera...


About a third of these pieces have been hanging in my apartment for years, and the rest, sadly, have been wrapped up and in boxes. It's awesome to be able to share them! Some have never been outside my home- I feel like they're my children that I've kept sheltered and are now out in the world! (It's weird, I know) But I'm happy to say that some of the pieces in the show will be finding their way to new homes! (Yay!)


The show is being held at the new African American Cultural Center of the Capital Region, Inc., which "is a nonprofit organization committed to educating, enriching, and empowering residents of the Capital Region through a variety of educational, cultural and performing arts, programs, activities, and exhibits that promote awareness and raise the collective consciousness of all ethnicities to the rich and vibrant history, contribution, and culture of African Americans."


 It is housed in an old Bank building (with the vault and everything!) in the South End neighborhood of Albany.

I was involved in the Cultural Center's Programming Committee last year, and there are always ideas and events brewing! 



 ...view from inside the Center...  
...view from right outside... (I miss you guys!)
                                                    .

The show will be up until the end of May. If you're in the area, please stop by!

A big thank you to the Programming Committee and volunteers of the African American Cultural Center, the Albany Institute of History and Art, the Downtown Albany Business Improvement District, the City of Albany Mayor Kathy M. Sheehan, the City of Albany Superintendent's Arts Advisory Committeethe Little Book House of Stuyvesant Plaza, and the Altamont Enterprise for their support!

And friends and family and teachers and colleagues, and boyfriend, and of course, Mommy and Daddy!







No comments:

Post a Comment