Sunday, April 27, 2014

Busy Week and TV Spot

I am tiiiired!
I was in New York last week with a very busy schedule. Even though I lived in Jersey City and worked in New York for two and a half years, I'm now so used to a much slower-paced life upstate that just being on the streets of New York is really tiring! Or I'm just getting old.

Pretty cherry blossoms, bright graffiti and a view of
the Brooklyn museum from the subway stairs

I was invited to come to the Brooklyn Public Library to give a presentation on My Hands Sing the Blues: Romare Bearden's Childhood Journeyto a group of 3rd graders from two public schools in Brooklyn. They entered the auditorium very quietly, but by the end of the presentation, they were buzzing and excited!


After the presentation, I went to a school in Bed-Stuy for story-time with Lala Salama: a Tanzanian Lullaby for two classes of Kindergartners. They were awesome! So funny! If we could somehow bottle up the excitement that a Kindergartner has for reading or hearing stories and access it as the child grows, we'd have teenagers and adults more excited to read too!

After my Brooklyn trip, I had some publisher meetings, and arrived back at my hotel juuust in time to watch my "Today's Women" interview (streaming live on the internet- click the picture below):


It was my first TV interview! 


... Busy streets ...
... Teatime ...
... My book in a publisher display case! ...
See my creepy shadow taking the picture?
... The historic Flatiron Building ...

I got a chance to hang out at one of my favorite spots: Bryant Park, where I used to work in the Magnolia Flower kiosk... which is now a grilled cheese kiosk! (Yes, I had to buy a grilled cheese sandwich just because)

... The lawn at Bryant Park, sadly off-limits during this beautiful day ... 

It was a great, exciting, and busy week!
Time to relax and get ready for a week full of painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment